Thursday, March 6, 2014

NARS Lipstick "Dolce Vita": Swatches + Review!


Considering I placed this lipstick (spoiler alert!) at the top of my pyramid for last month's Best & Worst of Beauty video, I figured it was about freaking time I did a proper blog pimping of this beauty. I got it for Christmas last year in my "Sephora SUPERSTARS Beauty Must Haves" kit and, while I was excited to try a NARS lipstick for the very first time, I had no idea how in love with this sheer nude number I was about to fall. Surely it's how the creator(s) of a Reese's cup felt; they had a hunch that peanut butter and chocolate was going to taste good but had no idea how many arteries they were about to clog.



I know the first picture of this post is slightly misleading in terms of color but dayum the drama was too good to pass up; it would be like Beyonce calling you personally to invite you to her next concert and you telling her you already have plans for that night. CANCEL THOSE PLANS, FOOL. Cancel them quick and praise Beyzus from the front row.
Anyways.

NARS lipsticks are housed in the same velvety smooth, rubberized packaging that we all hate to love and love to hate. It feels so good in the hand but collects all of the dirt and cat hair. I personally think it looks so classy and enjoy whipping it out of my bag after lunch or what-have-you for touch ups; I'd be lying if I said I didn't peek out of the corner of my eyes to see if anyone notices (they don't). The formula stands up to the NARS name and feels absolutely luxurious to apply. It's a sheerer formula but still packs a punch with the pigmentation that it has and leaves your lips feeling silky and hydrated.


 

The color of "Dolce Vita" is something that surely shifts from face to face (and lip to lip for that matter) but in the tube it's just your stereotypical nude: a fairly equal mix of pink and brown. Regardless of how lackluster it looked to me initially though it shifted into the most beautiful peachy mauve once applied to my lips. I honestly don't think I'll ever find a nude lipstick as perfect as this!


Well, I suppose that's a semi-lie. NARS' "Dolce Vita" would be closer to perfect if it smelled a little better (it doesn't smell bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly good either; thankfully the scent is something you have to shove your face into the bullet to catch wind of) and lasted a little longer. I'm sad to report that this only lasts 2-3 hours on me before it's nearly completely worn off. And while that leaves me many opportunities to whip out (show off) my fancy NARS lipstick tube to reapply, it means that overall I'm going to run out of this extremely quickly. With these going for $26 a pop it means I'm not exactly able (on my pathetic grad-student income/debt merry-go-round of a bank statement) to immediately dish out the minute this drops dead. 

It sure is pretty though… dammit.

Have you tried any NARS lipsticks?
Love 'em? Hate 'em?
What's your favorite/perfect nude lipstick?
Do share!!

xoxo - Cassie

49 comments:

  1. That is such great everyday color. Wow! Also, your skin looks amazing!

    vanitytalkbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks thank you so much Addison!! Glad you like it :)

      Delete
  2. you look stunning beyond words in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!!! You're far too sweet to me >__<

      Delete
  3. omg that color is made for me.. don't like lipstick because it's to bright of shades, can't ware nudes because they wash me out. May have find this and get it perfect color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad to have brought it to your attention Katie!! Hope you like it if you get it for yourself :)

      Delete
  4. I have Afghan Red in this line by NARS and love it. Kinda drying though. I always wear balm underneath. It really does suck that these are so expensive. The color is perfect on you though. And your skin. Omg. So flawless and glowing. Oh and my current favorite nude lipstick is Morning Rose by MAC. It has the perfect touch of dusty rose and is such a wonderful, moisturizing yet long lasting formula (on me anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh it really would be wonderful if they weren't so expensive :( But oh my gosh thank you, you're too kind!! The lighting was good to me that day haha. Ooo I haven't heard of Morning Rose I"ll have to check it out! I love M.A.C. lipsticks <3

      Delete
  5. That looks so beautiful on you! Everything about that last picture is YES. Right now I've been using Revlon Lipstain in Honey as my "my lips but better" type of nude. I only have one NARS lip color. It's actually one of their Velvet Matte Lip Pencils in Red Square. Such a pretty orangey red! It's a little drying since it's matte, but I love applying such a bright color in a pencil form. It makes coloring in the lines a lot easier for me. And I know what you mean about lipstick smells. I'm spoiled by MAC's vanilla goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thank you so much Jill you're far too kind!! Revlon's "Honey" really is such a fantastic shade and was one of my go-to nudes until I got this beautiful baby. I've wanted to try out on of NARS' velvet matte pencils but have yet to do so because of the price. And yes M.A.C. really does spoil our nostrils hah! :)

      Delete
  6. This is a gorgeous colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hit up ebay! I get so many new boxed lipsticks from there and they're at least half the price! (it's how I'm able to keep up my high end lipstick habit....sigh....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously??? I'd be so scared it would end up being a fake D: But I'll have to look into it Taylor, thank you!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, this looks so pretty on you! Definitely your perfect nude.

    Catherine, xo // Lady Liquor Vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Catherine, I really think so too!!

      Delete
  9. Oh, look at you! Your last photo is sooo pretty!!

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a gorgeous shade on you, Cassie! I def. wasn't expecting that pretty of a nude from how it looked in the tube! Gorgeous, lady :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'awww thank you Jess!! And yeah in the tube this is all sorts of not exciting but it really turns out fantastic on the lips :D Much love deary <3

      Delete
  11. Ummm ... it's perfection on you. Seriously, that last picture speaks for itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahhh thank you!! I'm so glad you love it, that's such wonderful validation haha.

      Delete
  12. Definitely a gorgeous color. I love that feeling of trying on a new lipstick and being like....damn, I look good in this lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahah it really is a wonderful feeling, isn't it!?!?

      Delete
  13. Love this colour and you looks gorgeous!!! Your skin looks absolutely flawless! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tasha!! The color really is a surprising stunner and BELIEVE me when I say my skin is far from flawless… the lighting was just being especially kind to me that day XD

      Delete
  14. holy guacamole that shade is STUNNING AND YOU'RE STUNNING AND EVERYTHING IN THIS POST IS STUNNING! I'm not going to lie, I wasn't blown away by that color in the tube, but damn! It looks great on you!!

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahhhhh Louise you're so sweet thank you so much!! Yeah in the tube this really looks like nothing special but it's so gorgeous on the lips! :)

      Delete
  15. I think it looks absolutely gorgeous on! but I wouldn't rush out to buy it at that cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the price really is a shame :( Glad you like it though Natalie!

      Delete
  16. Such a beautiful lip color! Since I discovered your blog a few days ago my bank account is suffering due to excessive makeup purchases, ha! As for my nudes, I got Ulta Perfect Nude in a set and it's beautiful and cheap. I also like Rimmel Airy Fairy for an understated pink lip.

    Thanks for the reviews and swatches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh no don't let it drain your bank account too much!! I've fallen into that trap far too many times and would never want to be the cause of it for someone else :) So happy to hear that Ulta has a beautiful nude shade and YES Airy Fairy I really need to bust that one out of my stash… I haven't worn it in ages! Thank YOU for being wonderful!! <3

      Delete
  17. Dayuuuuum, that color looks fantastic on you Hun! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha why thank you lovely April I'm glad you like it ^__^

      Delete
  18. That really IS beautiful! I'll have to keep that in mind. Also, could your skin look any more perfect in the last photo? Probably not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a swatch the next time you can in store Rachel, it's a beauty! And haha I promise that was just a VERY good skin day and the lighting was being quite kind XD

      Delete
  19. Wow, this is the prettiest nude I've ever seen!

    Sandra - The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
  20. NAR’S Nude lippies are adorable! :)
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love dolce vita as well!! gorg color...I love all things NARS esp their blushes, but i do love their creamy concealer and tinted moisturizer...list goes on...quite tempted to get the translucent setting powder...the white one...not sure if i should get the pressed or loose...the loose looks like more of a hassle to carry around...dilemma dilemma....oh yes and my most recent nars lippy is schiap...which you def need for your summer make up rotation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend the loose version since the pressed one can be a little hard to pick up with a brush sometimes :) It's really great though if you do go for it!! Glad you love so many NARS things… wish I could afford more!

      Delete
  22. My go to nude (the only one I have ever gotten excited about, because to me, nudes are pretty mundane, I get excited over bright colors) Would be, UD Revolution lipstick in the shade Naked, its shimmery but not gritty, it is seriously GORGE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh I've wanted to try out those lipsticks!! Sounds like I'll have to check out that one in particular, thanks for sharing with me Kristy :D

      Delete
  23. You might wanna try their audacious lipstick in Barbara. Audacious lasts longer and Barbara is a nude shade similar to Dolce Vita.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are great! Love your videos. Keep being genuine and real - it's hard to find.

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!! I read and appreciate each one :)
However, please refrain from leaving "follow for follow" comments, contest links, etc. as I will delete them. If you want me to check out your blog though just leave a link and I'd be happy to take a look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...