Monday, January 7, 2013

NARS Orgasm VS. Super Orgasm: Swatches + Comparison + Review!!


Get ready for a picture heavy post; these two little beauts deserved the full on Glamour Shots treatment (please tell me you remember the days... apparently the first time my mom took me in to get a photo taken [with my already one-time-veteran brother] I spit up all over my Christmas dress when the shoot began hahahah #sorrymom)!!

As I mentioned in my "What I Got For Christmas" video, I was generously gifted (by my lovely and sparkly friend Torey) my first full-sized NARS product: the blush Super Orgasm!
I also received a few mini NARS products/samples with my 500 VIB rewards points at Sephora a couple months ago when they released the NARS perk (which I'm SO happy I nabbed on the first day because by the second day it was gone!!); one of the included minis was the infamous Orgasm blush.

So I figured it would be great to review both of these products as well as do a little comparison; do you need both or will one suffice? More importantly, do NARS blushes live up the the hype?
Take the jump to find out!!



I couldn't help but laugh when I typed the last of those two questions above the jump; OF COURSE these live up to the hype!!
I've swatched all a couple of NARS blushes in my times bopping around Sephora and always left the store weeping because I couldn't justify the price (or the need for more makeup). NARS makes some of the widest ranges of blush colors I've ever seen and they are, from what I can tell, all little works of art made to suit a wide range of skin colors and tones. 

Yes, that's me in my jim-jams in the compact mirrors... let's put our judgement faces away, shall we?

Looking at these two blushes side by side, I thought there was no way in h*** that they would be similar blushes like their names connote. For some reason I was always under the impression that Super Orgasm would be the exact same color as Orgasm, just with the added bonus of chunky gold glitter flecks. 
However, pan VS. pan, Super Orgasm pulls more towards a cool toned baby pink (though it definitely still has warm undertones, don't get me wrong) while Orgasm is a definite warm peachy coral.


Above - Super Orgasm

Above - Orgasm

Finger swatches support the claim that these blushes are two different beasts... but how do they perform when swatched next to each other on the skin?
Get ready for some mind f***ery my friends.


Left - Right: Super Orgasm & Orgasm
Left - Right: Super Orgasm (glitter dusted off with a fan brush) & Orgasm

I was absolutely SHOCKED when I saw how closely these two blushes pull towards a similar peachy coral on my skin once swatched; the ONLY differences (on my skin) that were visibly noticeable were the obvious glitter in Super Orgasm compared to the golden sheen of Orgasm and the slight lean towards a more baby pink that Super Orgasm has. 
Other than that, these blushes are definitely biological sisters; same genetic makeup just slightly different personalities.

Here they are on my cheeks!!



 Orgasm (absolutely no highlighter used... it's basically built into the blush!!) 
#wethairdon'tcare



 Super Orgasm

So there you have it folks!!

NARS really has created two lovely blushes in the Orgasm family (surrounded by some slightly more raunchy aunts, uncles, and cousins) and I can completely understand why Sephora sales associates are encouraged to suggest Orgasm as a starter blush for those who don't have much experience. 
I feel like it would be similar to someone walking into a grocery store and never having tried fruit before; of course an employee would suggest trying an apple, but a HoneyCrisp apple to be exact. Yes they're pricier than others but there's a reason and you WILL love it!!

Both Orgasm and Super Orgasm are finely milled, silky, and pigmented; they are hands down some of the best blushes I have ever used and, while I can't say you NEED both of them, they both have lovely little personalities and I'm a happy owner of the sisters :)

What do you think: are NARS blushes worth the hype?
What's your favorite blush by NARS?
Have a drugstore brand that you swear is just as good as NARS?
Do share!!

xoxo - Cassie

23 comments:

  1. Glamour Shots was the bees knees. I have one photo hanging in my room and I'm staring at it going ... I feel so sorry that I made my parents spend the money, haha! Anyway, I always disliked that these two were so similar swatched because I LOVE the sparkle of the Super Orgasm but feel Orgasm is a better blush overall. Nice to see a post finally comparing the two as it's super helpful! And yes, NARS blushes are so worth their hype ( I think ). If you find a color you absolutely love in their range, I'd splurge for the quality! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its suprising how they look so different in the pan yet so similar on. I so want the Orgasm or Deep Throat blush!x
    britishbeautygeek.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both but I think I just prefer orgasm! Look lovely on you :)

    eyelashwishes-x.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the pictures! I think I still prefer Orgasm because I'm a minimal glitter/shimmer on the cheeks girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Orgasm and I have been wearing it pretty much every day since I got it a couple of years ago. I've recently hit pan but I've got a back-up ready to go ;)

    Definitely like you said, the best blusher to start with for a blusher novice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! i just joined your site so i hope you come back and join mine too! :)

    I love NARS! i've only ever tried their red lipstick, and boy was the color rich in a good way! I haven't used the blush personally but i've heard great things. I also have Sephora beauty points...the best thing i ever did for myself! i have excuses to spend money ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't spend that much money on a single blush at the moment, but they look so lovely. I always swatch Nars blushes when I go to Sephora...one day, I will graduate and get a job! Orgasm would probably be my first choice x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica: We've got a whooooooole wall of Glamour Shots at my mom's house so no worries haha. I'm so happy this post was helpful; I thought it was SUPER interesting that these two really were so similar and thought maybe others didn't know. I've been thinking about Gilda... something different that might be worth the splurge!!

    Megan: I know, right??? I'd say either would look beauuuutiful on your porcelain (at least it looks that way!) skin, just depends on the look you're going for :)

    Natsie_x: Thank you so much!! It's a hard choice that's for sure :)

    Coco: You are very welcome!! Surprisingly the chunky glitter doesn't transfer onto the cheeks much at all (surprisingly!!) ; I think you'd have to use something to fix them onto your cheeks!

    Maria: I know, I can't put these down either!! I'm glad to hear that they last forever before you hit pan though :)

    Rachael: No problem, I love a good blog browse!! Thank you for joining mine, I really appreciate it and hope you continue to enjoy future posts of mine :) I've wanted to try one of their lipsticks FOREVER... especially the Dragon Girl Matte Lip Pencil. And yes, those Sephora points are SUCH a great encouragement to spend more money haha ;)

    Ampersaand: I know, I'm the same way T__T Someday we will have big girl jobs and be able to buy big girl makeup!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Orgasm and I love it! I've just found your blog and fell in love with it, love your style! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great, detailed post! I really enjoyed reading it :) Followed! x


    http://lucyandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drama&Makeup: Aw thank you so much!!

    Lucy: I'm so happy you enjoyed!! I'm a very detail oriented person so I find detailed posts much more helpful than scarce ones hehe :) And really thank you so much for the kind words and for following!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love nars! I am so happy I found your blog!
    *Besos*
    http://www.cmichellestyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cmichellestyles: Aw thank you so much!! I hope you continue to enjoy my posts in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just bought The Multiple in Orgasm and I love it! The only reason I'd be so hesitant to buy Super Orgasm is the heavier sparkles. That's just a personal preference, though. They both look gorgeous on you!

    SimplySkinDeepBeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! And yeah, the huge sparkles can be a bit daunting at first but they really are subtle and beautiful on the cheeks (most of them end up as fallout!) so give it a swatch the next time you're in a Sephora if you're even a tad interested :)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for posting this! You showcased the differences perfectly, exactly what I was looking for. Glad I found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was helpful Kelly!! Glad you found me as well ^__^

      Delete
  16. I love NARS. The only blush of theirs that I own is Deep Throat, and it's so gorgeous. That hot pink one from their recent Guy Bourdain collection is one that I was eyeing.

    Glowing Clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those colors really are gorgeous… I wish I could afford all of the NARS things haha! :)

      Delete
  17. ELF (www.eyeslipsface.com) Studio blush in Candid Coral has been called a upe by many youtubers for Orgasm, It is my holy grail and I have 3 backups. RICH pigmentation and is $3 at target or online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely heard that before Kristy!! Glad you love that e.l.f. blush, especially since their products are so cheap like you said :D

      Delete
  18. I love your lipstick, what brand/shade is it???

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m with Sunshine; pls adv what lipstick/gloss you’re wearing in your demos. You look spectacular! Really appreciate the detailed explanation of the two blush colors. Think you made up my mind for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!! I read and appreciate each one :)
However, please refrain from leaving "follow for follow" comments, contest links, etc. as I will delete them. If you want me to check out your blog though just leave a link and I'd be happy to take a look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...