Friday, November 8, 2013

Limited Edition Maybelline Matte Color Tattoos: Swatches + Review!!


Ohmahgah you guys I can't even with these. I CAN'T EVEN. I think the lady at the cash register of the CVS I finally found these at saw me pee a little when I found these sitting in the Maybelline Gilded In Gold display (which is the limited edition collection these matte Color Tattoos are a part of). Can you blame my inability to control my excitement though?? 
For nearly a month now I've been hunting these down at every Walgreens, RiteAid, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ulta… seriously, every store I could think of that gets in limited edition cosmetic releases I was there. And I was creepy (I'm assuming anyways… I can't imagine any of the stores thought my silent-disheveled-sweats-wearing-self was endearing).

Enough of my rambling though; let's get on to checking out these beauties and seeing if the hunt was well worth it, shall we?



I'd like to think I can speak on behalf of everyone that the minute Maybelline released the original set of Color Tattoos the thing that was ultimately missing was a good selection of neutrals. So Maybelline listened and, little by little, released a few limited edition collections of colors like "Rich Mahogany" and "Barely Branded". However, there was still a lack of matte nudes since every new nude release seemed to contain shimmer. Bugger! That's where the newest collection of limited edition Color Tattoos come in though… these are indeed matte nude shades and are nothing short of "oh-my-gawd-you-need-to-get-these-now-they-are-nothing-short-of-extraordinary-unicorns-pooping-rainbows". 



By the way, as a short intermission, I just HAD to toss in these photos of Galileo. He absolutely loves the hard plastic safety seals that come around certain foods and cosmetics so you know the minute I ripped off the "limited edition" safety seals from these Color Tattoos he went absolutely bonkers. Just look how ferocious he looks as he gnaws at that wrapper in the (blurry but oh well) second picture hahah!!

Ahem, back to the makeup.




"Just Beige" is a creamy, borderline tacky ('sticky'), pastel yellow ochre (wut wut to all of the painters out there; if not, just google it because it's an accurate color description). I found that this was the least pigmented of the bunch but that by no means is saying that it's sheer. For people with a heavy yellow undertone to their skin this would be a great neutral color to slap on the lids and even them out but for people like me with more of a neutral skin tone then this works great as a semi-nude-esque eye brightener. This takes my eyes/face from looking like I got a couple hours of sleep to at least six or seven hours!! Perfect for the overworked student (or mother, etc.).



"Nude Pink" is absolutely my favorite out of the bunch. It is such a gorgeously understated pastel dusty pink mauve that gives the eyes a je ne sais quoi sophistication with practically no effort. This is the kind of color that makes me absolutely lazy with any other eye shadow because I can just smudge this onto the lids and not have to add anything else to the eyes while still looking pretty and polished.



"Matte Brown" is not only the least creatively named but also most uninspiring color for me of the bunch. If it hadn't been on the stand when I finally found these Color Tattoos I definitely wouldn't have been disappointed but since it was there, well, you know… makeup hoarding problems. It's still a great color and wonderfully pigmented so for the darker skinned ladies out there this is your nude!! For anyone with lighter or medium skin like me though I can really only see this being used for smokey eyes (which, admittedly, I rarely take the time to do) or maybe as a smudgy liner. Regardless I think it was a great third color to have in the collection as a whole!

 L-R: Just Beige, Nude Pink, Matte Brown

Seeing these all lined up you can tell that there's something here for any matte nude lover. These are creamy, pigmented, and truly effortless to just smear on the lids and go on those busy I-can't-even-remember-how-to-tie-my-shoes-much-less-do-my-makeup mornings. I've heard that "Just Beige" and "Nude Pink" are dupes for the "Soft Ochre" and "Painterly" Paint Pots by M.A.C. but, since I don't own any M.A.C. Paint Pots I really can't tell you all if those claims are true. Maybe you can compare and tell me in the comments below!

The one negative I have with these Color Tattoos though?:


Uuuuuuuuugh the formula is a creaser… which is almost worse than a stinky pooper (which is what I call Galileo when I pick him up to hug him, notice he smells like poop, then see he has a log of poo stuck to his butt fur). I have this problem with every single Color Tattoo though so you may or may not experience the same creasing. And by the way, if you're one of those lucky "Color Tattoos don't crease on me without a primer!" ladies I hate you, haha (just kidding, I'm only jealous). That's okay though, all I have to do is be sure to put my beloved theBalm "PUT A LID ON IT…" Eyelid Primer onto my lids before these cream shadows et voilà! All day Color Tattoo perfection.

So that's it people!! Like said, I truly am supremely happy that I finally found these matte Color Tattoos at CVS and think that, if you can find them before they're discontinued, they're something you should definitely pick up for yourself to have as a staple in your makeup collection. Happy hunting!

Do you own any of the matte Maybelline Color Tattoos?
Were they worth the hunt?
How do you feel about matte eye shadows in general?
Do share!!

xoxo - Cassie

30 comments:

  1. A lovely find! I hope Aus will get them... probably next year -.-'
    My kitties love the plastic! I have to make sure to bin them or they end up ingesting them =S
    Galileo is so adorable!
    xxx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Kat!! And I'm glad to hear Galileo isn't the only kitty who loves the plastic… I'm lucky he doesn't eat it though that would be a nightmare :(

      Delete
  2. We never get new collections here in rural North Carolina :( I think I will have to go on a journey to find these!
    Anyway, thanks for sharing! They look gorgeous,well, excluding the creasing problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that's too bad!! Hopefully you can get your hands on these though because they're wonderful :) And you're welcome I'm so glad the review was helpful <3

      Delete
  3. I love that they are matte! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking all for these! I can't even find the Revlon Matte Balm Stains or LOreal Laques here. Which CVS did you go to?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome, we don't have those in my country yet, we only got the base collection a month ago, i have the bronze one and the pink gold and i wanted taupe but couldn't find it anywhere...it's all gone, but meh, after your youtube reviews i might have changed my mind about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip the taupe one it's a piece of junk!! These matte ones are awesome though so hopefully you can get them soon :)

      Delete
  6. Thats so awesome! I didn't know that Maybelline had limited editions of their colour tattoo eye shadows :) The colours are really nice, I really love the matte pink one!

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do! They've done multiple LE collections since the original release :) And guhhh yes the pink one is my favorite as well <3

      Delete
  7. You have gorgeous eyebrows! This yellow matte shade remind me of mac soft ochre the paint pot xx

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!! And yes, that's what I've heard and what I mentioned with the yellow one :)

      Delete
  8. That's such a pity they crease! But I would be excited if I found these as well :) The one that I'd be most interested in is Nude Pink - that looks like a great dupe of Painterly! I'm not sure if it would be all that flattering or noticeable for my skin tone though :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a pity but I guess since I've always experienced creasing with the color tattoos I just expect it haha. The nude pink really is such a gorgeous shade… if/when they make it oz I definitely think you should get at least that one!! :p

      Delete
  9. I'm still hunting these down too! None of the limited edition collections of anything make it to my local shelves & it's super frustrating. I'm glad you finally found them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck girl!! Keep hunting, they're so worth it :) Usually the LE stuff doesn't come to where I live either but somehow I got lucky with this release and maybe you will too!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you <3

      Delete
  10. They look amazing! Especially Nude Pink -it looks more like taupe which must be very wearable on daily basis! It's a shame colortattoo isn't sold in Japan but I managed to get two already, now I will try to get this on eBay!

    The Beauty Maniac in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very wearable for everyday… which is exactly what I've been doing since I got these haha! Hopefully you can find these on ebay for a good price because they really are great :)

      Delete
  11. I just bought the Beige and Pink at my local cvs yesterday! I thought I'd never see them and almost missed them as they were the only ones left on the display.
    Seriously in love with them and so glad I found them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I love happy surprises like that :) So glad you found them for yourself and that you're enjoying them!!

      Delete
  12. Nude Pink is nearly identical to the Camel Coat Paint Pot by MAC, which is a bummer since I already bought the more expensive :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow they do look quite similar!! Shame that you bought the more expensive one but hopefully you love it nonetheless; it's such a pretty color <3

      Delete
  13. New to your blog, a total great funny and relatable post read! I'm that "creepy" person walking right to the cosmetic aisle in search for the latest LE collection... same "creepy" person walking out emptied handed upon learning it hasn't been displayed yet! WORST LOSER FEELING EVER! LMBO I've been SEARCH HIGH AND LOW to no avail, hope to finally come across them soon! Great pics, gonna wonder your blog now! Thanks, -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahhhh thank you so much for all of your sweet comments!! Sorry I'm just getting back to you now but I've read and appreciated each and every one ^__^ Hhahahah and it totally is the worst loser feeling ever when you walk into the drugstore, go straight to the makeup collections stand, don't see what you're looking for and then promptly leave empty handed lol I do that all the time. Hopefully you can find these soon because they really are lovely colors!! <3

      Delete
  14. I can't wait for these be here in the uk!!! they look so pretty! so sorry about the creasing! they may crease on me as well without primer :S
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they make it to the UK soon too Liss!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :) And yeah the creasing is a bummer but overall no big deal… slapping a primer on underneath fixes things right up!

      Delete
  15. (Like always) I am late lol, but I love using the Matte Brown one for my eyebrows! I feel like I'm finally getting use out of it. The other two are awesome as well! I recently started watching your YouTube channel and I really enjoy watching your videos. You have a great personality and I'm always looking forward to seeing what Galileo is up to next in the background lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about being "late" Janet!! And ooo for your eyebrows huh? That actually sounds like a great idea!! Glad you're enjoying these color tattoos :) And shucks thank you!!! I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying my videos as well as seeing Galileo pop up in the background every now and then… he's such a ham for the camera <3

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!! I read and appreciate each one :)
However, please refrain from leaving "follow for follow" comments, contest links, etc. as I will delete them. If you want me to check out your blog though just leave a link and I'd be happy to take a look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...