Thursday, December 27, 2012

NYX Eye Shadow Base: Swatches + Review!


I feel like I've been on vacation from blogging for months now (reality check: it's been two days) so I'm excited to get back into it with this post!!

I had made a special trip to ULTA the other week (special in the sense that I avoid cosmetic stores at all costs because I'm an addict and know I can't control my needy hands... it would be the same as putting me in a chocolate factory. Which has happened [I'll put a photo at the end of this post]) because not only did I have a coupon for 20% off my whole purchase but there was also a BOGO deal on NYX products (which is one of my favorite drugstore brands); it was the same ULTA trip in which I purchased the festive polish I just reviewed.

I've had enough time now to test out this Eye Shadow Base so take the jump below to find out what I thought about it!!


I know what you're all thinking (if you've followed my blog for even a short period of time):
"Cassie, don't you have ENOUGH eye shadow primers? For example this oneor this oneor any of these buggers that you own..."

But must I repeat myself? Ahem.
Hello, my name is Cassie and I am a cosmehaulogist (because I'd like to think I'm a professional in my cosmetic hoarding).

Now that that's out of the way, let's get on with the product review, shall we?




 Moooooommyyyyyy, what are you doing (I don't care if I have to choke myself to find out...)?

I had really high hopes for this eye shadow base, a.) because it got fairly decent reviews online, and b.) once I swatched it for myself I was really impressed with how pigmented and creamy it was; I had the feeling that this was going to be a dream to apply and would be great on days where I just want to cover the veins on my lids.

That being said, I did have a slight problem with NYX calling this "Skin Tone" (the other two shades they have are a white and a pearle color). Sure it's going to be skin tone for a select few but come ON!! 
Aren't we in a day and age where it's more than obvious that there isn't just one universal skin tone?
Ohhhh, the politics of it all...



I was very lucky to be one of the few whose skin tone was a great match for this eye shadow base. As you can see in the swatches above it went on extremely smooth and had a great texture to it while at the same time blended out perfectly into my skin tone. 

But here's what we all want to know:
Does it prevent creasing???



H*** TO THE NO!!!!!!!!!!!

The first photo was from a short shift at work (6 hours) and you can clearly see that this made my eye shadow crease even more than my eye shadow would have creased on its own. 
So I thought "Well hey, it didn't work so great with eye shadows on top of it but maybe it'll work well on it's own!!".

This, my friends, is why I'm not an optimist.

Even when worn on its own, the NYX Eye Shadow Base still creases (see second photo).
Essentially, this primer makes my lids look about as fabulous as the camera flash makes my skin look (doesn't it look like I rubbed myself down with olive oil before taking these photos??).
Le sigh.
If I'm being completely honest, I'd just say don't even give this one a try; you'll be nothing but disappointed. There are much better drugstore eye shadow bases out there for a similar price, if not cheaper!

Have you tried the NYX Eye Shadow Base?
Love it (I can't imagine)? Hate it?
What's your favorite eye shadow primer (drugstore and/or high end)?
Do share; I clearly need a new one!!

xoxo - Cassie

PS: You thought I had forgotten about that picture from my escapade in a chocolate factory, didn't you?
Oh come on, you know I wouldn't let you down like that ;)

Here I am (right) with one of my best friends (still to this day; nine years and going strong!!) when we were sixteen/seventeen and studying abroad in Germany. We had taken a trip to the Ritter Sport factory and couldn't leave without bringing home at least a couple baskets full of goodies...

7 comments:

  1. Aw this is a bit sad to me as Nyx tends to be a reliable brand. When it comes to primers, I truly believe you pay for what you get. Of course there are always a couple exceptions, but I stick with the classic Urban Decay Primer Potion and it's never done me wrong. On the bright side, that shadow you're wearing on top of it in the pic is GORG!!!

    simplyskindeepbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this NYX base and I have to agree that it's not the best primer out there.

    Just found your blog and really like it. I'm a new follower now. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so disappointing, it's creased terribly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addison Cain: I know, I was pretty bummed about it as well :( It's true though that primers seem to be worth every penny you spend (or hold onto)... it's a shame, but I agree with you! And thank you so much!! It was just a few of the shadows from the MUA "Undressed" palette :)

    The Unprofessional Beauty Blog: Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with this eye shadow base!! Such a shame since I really love NYX :( And thank you so so much for your kind words! I'm so happy to have you here and hope you continue to enjoy my blog in the future :)

    Mel Davies: Yes it did!! Really disappointed with this NYX purchase :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog! :) Wanna follow each other? Let me know :)

    http://victoria-coeurdor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried so many different primers and so far my absolute favorite is NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. I have very oily lids and eyeshadow normally last longer than an hour. With the NARS base, it will stay for at least 8 hours. It is pricey ($24) but it is definitely worth the price!!

    Deana
    TesoriBelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deana: Ahhh yes another vote for NARS!! I really need to try it out (even though the price makes me cry a little on the inside) because it sounds like a miracle worker.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!! I read and appreciate each one :)
However, please refrain from leaving "follow for follow" comments, contest links, etc. as I will delete them. If you want me to check out your blog though just leave a link and I'd be happy to take a look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...